Friday, April 4, 2008

Anesthetical wisdom

I'm new at this blog thing, so I don't know what good content etiquette is - BUT I'm dying to immortalize an email from Brooke -- one of her all time best.

She's home from getting her wisdom teeth pulled (with the cutest chubby cheeks!). Before she left for SD last week, she was panicked about some new phenomenon they've discovered called "anesthetical awareness." It literally means that you wake up during surgery - yikes! Armed with medical knowledge, Brooke departed for San Diego with the consternation of knowing that this was a horrific surgical reality she most certainly faced.

In the words of the patient who lived to tell the tale...


As for my surgery: I am healing nicely- I am not too swollen and I never got loopy and drugged. The funniest thing happened though when we sat down in the doctor's office - a segment on Oprah came on right then as my mom and I are filling out paperwork about the anesthesia and medications and allergies, and we hear Oprah's voice say "And now for a horrifying look into the lesser-known dangers of surgery as we meet with four women who suffered a terrible ordeal known as anesthetical awareness..."!!! And then a huge lady with a pirate eye patch came on and started talking about how she still gets nightmares and had all these emotional probIems after having this happen to her......I KNOW! Can you even believe that?! We just looked at each other and my eyes got all big and a little teary and then we cracked up and made the nurse change the channel, but she couldnt figure out how to do it, so I'm sitting there looking at the release form I have to sign saying I won't sue them, while listening to the most awful story of this pirate lady who woke up during surgery... ahhhhhh!

Finally the little nurse changed the channel, so I go into the operating room, and sit and wait for the doctor, and in comes the McDreamy of Poway - no joke he was seriously SMOKIN!! I felt like the girl in That Thing you Do who falls in love with her dentist - then I started realizing I was about to pass out and drool all over him, and say stupid things later, so I got nervous and he asked me some questions about my health and things and I was SO AWKWARD. oh my gosh. Anyways, it's all over now, and I am better, I just have to wear this bandage sling ice-pack around my head which my family dubbed "the whitey-tighty headwrap" because it really does look like I've slung my jaw in undies. Ok this is sooo long.... read it to Alison and tell her I LOVE HER and I LOVE YOU and I will see you Wednesday night!!!
-Brooke


4 comments:

|| davidjay || said...

I'm glad Brooke's Face is getting better and that her rash is gone.

Anonymous said...

D-freakin-J... first of all dont mention the rash!!! mentioning it when McDreamy called me to check up on me was bad enough, but now you have to put it on the world wide web?! secondly, my face is currently slung up in the tighty-whiteys right now so I think I'll be ok

Unknown said...

Tell Brooke that she is amazing and I miss her!

Anonymous said...

oh wow... that's awesome!!!

Dude... (or is it dudette?)

Cheryl actually did wake up when her wisdom teeth were being pulled!!!!! YIKES.

I haven't had mine taken out cause I'm too freaked out by surgeries. ;-)