Friday, April 18, 2008

Charging

I just got back from a wonderful Thai dinner with Deyl and Paige! The whole time my computer was plugged in up at DJ's house, but I'd borrowed his cord (being a bit too lazy to dig out my own). Being that he is eons ahead of me in the technological world, he uses a MacBook air... and I use this cantankerous outdated thing called a MacBook. The cord I grabbed wasn't made for my computer, but it was closer to me (I actually stole it from him!) and it fit, so well and good enough.

Sure thing (thanks to my selfless borrow) his Air was nearly dead upon arriving back, and he grabbed the power again while I was typing away. Instantly my laptop went black! All that time charging, and and not a smidgen of battery life to show for it.

I know, quite the random Friday night accolade.....but.....it got me thinking. How often do we grab what's nearest to energize us for the moment, only to be drained the instant that its pulled away. God has hard wired us with the need to be charged. So often I can sustain myself for a time being on whatever is within closest reach, but I never am really charged. Empty, in the end, and so worse off than before. At times it takes those extra strides to reach and apply the thing that will truly charge and sustain us - the power cord, so to speak, that we were made for.

xx

6 comments:

Armin de Fiesta said...

Wow now that's pretty deep! But you brought up a very good point about how we sometimes try to charge and fill ourselves with temporary solutions, only to continue searching for something more. Oh BTW Alli, I found your blog through Anna Costa! Take care!

Unknown said...

Yay - I like! ;)

God is going to soon pull the feeding tube out of the Church and teach us how to eat and be sustained on our own... or at least I hope He does it soon.

HOW long as the macbook air been out?? He's like SUPER on top of the technology. :)

Anonymous said...

I love hearing your thoughts....
You should write a book! :)

|| davidjay || said...

wonderful post baby! I love you!

MattDJ said...

Wow...I read the "went black" part and was ROFL (well...not really the OF part!) only to be grabbed there at the end. That was like a sermonette!! :-)

Daniel J. Watkins said...

Well that explains why I have a beer fridge in every room of the house...