Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The city that never sleeps!

For the past four days I've had the ol' time croonings of Sinatra's "New York, New York!" circling my mind on repeat (we're in Boston this morning and it still hasn't stopped... uh oh!).

There truly is something so majestic and almost opportunistic about that infamous city. The honking and screeching of yellow cabs, the pungent smell of dirty curbs, the incessant bustle of faces and voices at all times of day. Each night we were in Times Square I had absolutely no conception of time - 2 am could have been 8 pm for all this Santa Barbara girl could tell.

It was my first time back since my graduation field trip in 8th grade. Somewhere in that city of dreams I came down with a horrific virus -- so my memories of the big apple are feverish sweats in central park, my face pressed against the top floor window of the Empire State staring dizzily down at the miniatured street, brusque paramedics asking my birth date in the airport... and me unable to remember.

But this time around I was determined to have my redemptive experience. And in the midst of flight delays, terminal sprints, and a two hour cab ride to meet the broken down bus in New Jersey -- God granted His traveling mercies. My nose against the bombardier plexiglass, my plane into La Gaurdia swooped low across the entire breadth of the city.

The heights of the towers, the greens of the parks, the frame of the water, the noble teal form of Miss Liberty... took my breath away and caught me for a moment in the timeless captivation of New York. I wanted to wave the other weathered travelers over to my window yelling, "Looook!" but most seemed much too cool and disinterested. So I fell back to my view, lost in the grandness and simplicity of seeing this breathtaking landscape from the sky.

I may not be cut out for city life (*ahem, see video below) but for a moment Sinatra would have loved to see me swooning.





* photo by Kenny Kim :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad this NY experience worked out better than your last one!! Fun pictures....I love your new B&W top! And it's good to see you're finding time to open your laptop even in the midst of all this fun and excitement!! ;) xoxo

cu4photos said...

OMG, the video of you trying to get through at the subway was EXACTLY me a few years ago. The only difference was I had about one million people behind me shouting "stupid tourists" and "those southern people just don't move fast enough" =) LOL.
There were soooo many people...it was five o'clock and people were just getting out of work. What was I thinking? I definitely should have stayed in the hotel room that day :) ~Cindy

|| davidjay || said...

Love you baby! So glad this time was better!!!

Armin DeFiesta said...

Great post and funny video... the DC MetroRail isn't any easier, maybe you can give that a try now that you're here, lol. Instead of swiping your card you have to insert the card, let the machine suck it in, and try to catch it on the other end before the gate even opens =)

Anonymous said...

ew you guys are so cute it makes me SICK

Bobby Earle said...

That last photo of you and DJ is ripping!!!

Mike Richards Photography said...

You guys are so cute! I wish the wife and I could hang with you both...it would definitely be a dream come true! If you are ever in Florida, let me know...party on us!